The area between the Fine Arts Center/Puerto Rico Museum of Art and Tren Urbano/Sagrado Corazon along Ponce de Leon has some of the biggest projects under construction in San Juan.
Most of the projects are taking advantage of the current 'developers market' to acquire large parcels from government entities or assemble smaller properties at historically low prices to create larger development sites.
So while the market for individual properties is still 'frozen' - smart developers with a long-term vision are making major investments in the Santurce Arts District.
- Ciudadela at Stop 23: The remaining buildings in this long-delayed project are making very good progress. After selling all units in Phase I & II plus filling all commercial spaces, the new phase III will add a new tower at Calle Antonsanti, another tower at Calle del Parque, extend the mid-rise 'wall' to Calle del Parque along with the plaza and commercial space. Smart investors are starting to consider the opportunities on nearby blocks.
- San Mateo Park between Ciudadela and Puerto Rico Museum of Art is reportedly already growing the indigenous Puerto Rican plants and trees for the performing arts-oriented public space on the site of the former 'Altos de Congrejos' neighborhood.
- Announced senior-living project in the existing but abandoned building adjacent to Ciudadela.
- Renovations to Cobian's Plaza at Stop 24: Christiansen Commercial has taken over marketing of this long-neglected office space with new restaurant, renovated public areas and a wide range of office spaces. Also look for opening of new Boulevard Café once they work their way through the ever-more-frustrating permits process.
- Santurce Dialysis Center on Calle Bolivar at Ave. Fernandez Juncos at Stop 24: The large empty lot across from National Lumber has signs posted for a new building and parking. Smaller buildings on the blocks adjacent to this one acre parcel have recently been snapped up by investors
- Former San Carlos Hospital at Stop 25.5: This should be a new AOR building supplies store - great lot with access from both Ponce de Leon and Fernandez Juncos.
- New CVS in the empty lot next to Tren Urbano - Sagrado Corazon where Ponce de Leon and Fernandez Juncos intersect at Stop 26. Great location with plenty of parking will get traffic from Santurce, Hato Rey, Bus/Train, Monte Flores and especially the underserved Barrio Obrero neighborhood.